This article will clarify 4 questions:
- What is the sync strategy followed in Google Analytics 360 (GA 360) connector?
- Is there a limitation on reports that could be created in Google Analytics 360 connector at the Fivetran end?
- What is the difference between Google Analytics (GA) and Google Analytics 360 connectors?
- Is it possible to use a Google Analytics 360 subscription and pull data through the Google Analytics connector?
Connector: Google Analytics 360
1. What is the sync strategy followed in Google Analytics 360 connector?
Fivetran doesn't directly download the report and data from Google Analytics 360. As mentioned in our documentation, the data is picked by Fivetran from the GCP bucket.
Workflow followed to sync data from GA360 UI to your warehouse:
- Create a Google API Console project and enable BigQuery.
- Prepare your project for BigQuery Export. Every day the data from GA 360 is pushed to your GCP bucket.
- Configure GA 360 export by following the steps mentioned here.
- Fivetran pulls data from the GCP bucket and loads it to the warehouse.
Since Fivetran doesn't download the report directly, it entirely depends on how GA 360 sends data to the GCP bucket. If the report data in the bucket have all the dimensions and metrics then Fivetran will sync the same to the warehouse.
2. Is there a limitation on reports that could be created in Google Analytics 360 connector at the Fivetran end?
There is no limitation on the report that could be created at the source or synced via Fivetran, if the report data is available in the GCP bucket it will be loaded to the warehouse.
3. What is the difference between Google Analytics and Google Analytics 360 connectors?
Google Analytics and Google Analytics 360 are both different connectors and have their own logic of pulling data from the source. GA connector directly pulls data from the report using Google Analytics Reporting API v4 while GA 360 pulls data from your GCP bucket. Also, there is a difference in tables created in both connectors. GA pulls the data directly from the report so the tables created in the warehouse are based on the report data, but GA360 has a fixed model class.
4. Is it possible to use Google Analytics 360 subscription and pull data through the Google Analytics connector?
The deciding factor here is if Google Analytics Reporting API v4 is able to pull GA 360 data from the source then you could use GA connector instead of GA360 connector, but currently, we don't have any evidence to support the feasibility.