You need to implement transformation logic on your data to ensure it is fit for purpose for analysis. You need to decide if you should set-up Fivetran Transformations or dbt Transformations.
When to use Fivetran Transformations:
Use Fivetran Transformations in the following circumstances;
- Your transformations are simple, quick and easy to implement.
- Your transformations have a reasonable amount of SQL Code (~50 lines).
- You do not need to build out a broad program of transformations.
When to use dbt Transformations:
Use dbt Transformations in the following circumstances;
- You require a scalable, robust and modular approach to your transformations.
- You require full version control, alerting and logging for your transformations.
- You have complex workflows in place that involve transformations.
- You require Documentation and diagrams such as Data Lineage Graphs to track your transformations.